Yankton Area Arts invites you to stop in to view the current exhibition, “Stitches and Glass.” This exhibit includes hand blown art glass presented by Art Ciccotti from Ames, Iowa and hand made quilts created by members of the Dakota Prairie Quilt Guild from the Yankton community. The glass artwork is in a variety of vibrant colors and the gallery is host to more than 20 original pieces. There also are a large number of beautiful quilts on display. We received an unprecedented amount of quilts to exhibit. As a result, for the first time ever, a gallery show has expanded into the G.A.R. Hall lower level. The art will be on display at the G.A.R. Hall Art Gallery through May 13. Please go to www.YanktonAreaArts.org for a sampling of the gallery pieces.
Our new lecture series the “Lost Arts” kicked off on April 4 by Yankton Area Arts board member Mike Miller, with a presentation on woodcarving. Saturday morning, the traffic was steady as the audience arrived for Mike’s presentation and we had a full house before he began. Mike’s work is absolutely beautiful and it was fascinating to hear and see the process he uses to create his pieces. A big “thank you” to Mr. Miller for giving Yankton Area Arts his Saturday morning and for sharing his gift with our community! Mike’s presentation was a perfect beginning to our series and we are looking forward to the other lectures in 2009.
The next program date is May 16 and the topic will be wildlife art as expressed through the Federal Duck Stamp Program and South Dakota Game Fish and Parks presented by Douglas Sall. The free program will begin at 11 a.m. at G.A.R. Hall. Please check the online calendar of events for the rest of the series. If you have any topic requests, or if you practice a unique art and would like to share it with the community, let us know; we are looking for you!
On Tuesday, June 2, Yankton Area Arts will be hosting the 18th annual Kid’s Art Fest at Riverside Park in conjunction with the Yankton Chamber of Commerce’s Customer Appreciation Picnic. Between 150-200 children with their parents will enjoy an evening filled with fun and hands-on activities. We are indebted to volunteers who make this day special for the kids. This event would not be possible without the generous support of the community.
Yankton Area Arts is seeking volunteers to sponsor and provide a craft activity for the children. The art project and supplies need to be provided by the sponsor to accommodate elementary age children. Last year, 11 local businesses hosted tables with make-and-takes. If you would like to host a table please, please contact the Yankton Area Arts office or apply online at our Web site. Any activity that involves music, dance, reading, writing or creating visual artwork is generally acceptable.
There’s so much to look forward to in the Yankton area this spring — including some more lovely weather. If you’re out for a stroll on one of these warm sunny days, stop into the G.A.R. Hall Art Gallery and say hello!
YAA Calendar of Events:
• through May 13 — “Stitches and Glass” exhibit featuring blown glass artwork by Art Ciccotti and Quilts by Dakota Prairie Quilt Guild at the G.A.R. Hall Art Gallery from 1-3 pm. Free to the public.
• April 24 — Vermillion Area Artists Biography Project at the Washington Street Art Center, 202 Washington Street in Vermillion, 7- 9 p.m.
• May 1-2 — All School Visual Art Exhibit, Yankton Middle School.
• May 2 — Vermillion Area Arts Council’s Spring Arts Festival: Sales and Auction at the Washington Street Art Center, 202 Washington Street in Vermillion, 3-9 p.m.
• May 16 — Gallery Reception and talk featuring the work of John Anderson at the G.A.R. Hall Art Gallery 1-3 p.m. The exhibit “Intuitive Abstraction” runs from May 16-June 24. Free to the public
• May 16 — “Lost Arts: Wildlife Arts” as expressed through the Federal Duck Stamp Program presented by Doug Sall at the G.A.R. Hall Art Gallery from 11 a.m.-noon.
The G.A.R. Hall Gallery and Yankton Area Arts are located at 508 Douglas Avenue, Yankton. The gallery is open to the public free of charge from 1-5 p.m. weekdays and from 1-3 p.m. on Saturdays. For more information, contact Pam Meylor, YAA executive director, at (605) 665-9745 or Pam@YanktonAreaArts.org. For further information on events, please go to www.YanktonAreaArts.org